Destinations and Activities
South Africa is a paradise for anyone interested in natural history. A wide range of species (some potentially dangerous) may be encountered in parks, farms, private reserves and even on the roads.
The Kruger National Park is exceptionally well managed and a favorite tourist destination.
Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in the heart of the Kalahari desert with wide open spaces and hordes of games including the majestic 'Gemsbok'. This is the first park in Africa to cross political borders.
There are also a large number of smaller parks, like the Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park, Addo Elephant National Park, Pilanesberg National Park or the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.
See African Flora and Fauna and South African National Parks for additional information.
There are many geographical features and landmarks in South Africa worth a visit.
• The Augrabies Falls carved out by the Orange River in the Northern Cape
• The Blyde River Canyon in Mpumalanga is the third largest Canyon in the world.
• The Tugela Falls, the second highest waterfall in the world, located in the Drakensberg
• The Drakensberg Escarpment and surrounding areas in Mpumalanga
• The southernmost tip of Africa at Cape Agulhas
• The Garden Route - One of the top destinations, running along the Southern Coast from Mossel Bay to Port Elizabeth.
• The Wild Coast - offers spectacular coastlines without the tourist crowd. The whole region is very rural and infrastructure is sparse, so plan ahead.
• The Drakensberg mountain range, if you like hiking
• The Whale Coast along the Overberg Coast from Hermanus past Gansbaai to De Hoop Nature Reserve
• There are hiking trails available in almost all the parks and around geographical places of interest. Hiking in
• South Africa contains information on those.
With 2798km of coastline one can also except to find excellent beaches and coastal activities.
• Durban, not only the beaches, but also the Indian market.
• Port Elizabeth for swimming and scuba diving and other water related activities.
• Jeffreys Bay, the surfing mecca of South Africa